Top tips for Staying safe online
1. Talk to your child about their favourite websites. Starting a conversation on a positive foot can lead nicely into a chat about online safety.
2. If your child uses social networking sites, teach them about protecting their personal information by thinking about what they are sharing and who they are sharing it with. Show them how to use privacy settings, and how to block and report – and advise them to only accept friend requests from people they know in real life.
3. Remind your child that showing respect for others online is just as important as showing it offline. Encourage them to think before they post and to show positive behaviour online.
4. There are lots of ways you can advise your child about cyberbullying, if they are worried remind them to always tell an adult they trust if something upsets them online.
5. There are ways in which you can help to prevent your child from seeing inappropriate content online. Have you considered parental controls and filtering in your home and also on your children’s portable devices?